Thursday, June 11, 2009

SF Book Club #1: Crystal Rain by Tobias Buckell

Recently, three friends and I were talking about the idea of starting a small SF/F book club. The main rationale is that we tend to get in the same reading rut and, if others choose books, we'll read some books/authors we might not normally read. It's a little like the SF/F reading list by Lou Anders I posted early in this blog's history.

We decided to read whatever we all voted on, be it classic SF/F or modern. To start things off, we voted to go modern and yours truly was nominated to pick the first book. I reviewed Lou Anders's recommendations and those readers who commented as well as some of the books I have on my own personal reading list that I didn't mention online. It's summer and it's hot so I didn't feel like reading a book like Midwinter. I had just finished reading John Scalzi's Old Man's War (my review) otherwise I'd have put that book forward. I'm 3/4 done with The Lies of Locke Lamora or I'd have chosen it. China Mieville's Perdido Street Station is high on my list but it's a challenge (from what I hear).

Deciding to keep things light and fun, I settled on Crystal Rain by Tobias Buckell.

I've been wanting to read Crystal Rain for awhile mainly because I want to know what Caribbean-influenced SF looks and reads like. And other, established SF authors and editors love Buckell's work so I figured it would be a good place to start. Besides, just look at that gorgeous cover painting and tell me you *don't* want to read this book. The dude's got a hook where a hand should be. I am SO there.

We've given ourselves two months to read Crystal Rain. Wouldn't you know it: I selected a book without an audio adaptation. So, look for my review of the book later this summer (perhaps even for the Book Review Club from Barrie Summy) and any insights we all gain from the communal reading experience.

Anyone out there part of a SF/F-specific reading group?

2 comments:

  1. A friend and I actually started a SF reading group a couple months ago, since neither of us knew a lot about the genre and wanted to read more of it. Right now we read different things and share our thoughts, but now we're trying to get more members here in NYC and coordinate people reading the same story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cullen - I'd be interested in your takes on the books you're reading. What's on your SF TBR pile?

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

(Even though this is a cross-post, there might be genre-specific discussions that would better be served here at SF Safari than at my other ...