Thursday, May 28, 2009

Summer 2009: SF Edition

As I wrote about in my crime fiction blog, there are certain things I just enjoy doing during the weeks and days between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Summer is a state of mind and the most nostalgic for me outside of Christmas. I’ve made a short list of non-SF things I want to do this summer over at my crime fiction blog. Here are the SF-related goals.

Books: Lou Anders and others gave me a great list of SF books to read in order to ‘catch up’ in the genre. That list is still valid but I won’t get anywhere near to finishing the entire list. The books are just too darn long. I have read Old Man’s War and I’m reading The Lies of Locke Lamora right now. The other books on my SF reading list are these: The Tar-Ayiam Krang by Alan Dean Foster; Crystal Rain by Tobias Buckell; Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs; Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber; Steampunk edited by the Vandermeers; The New Weird also edited by the Vandermeers.

Comics: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; various Batman titles (the omnibus volumes from the 60s; The Resurrection of Ra’s Al Ghul; Tales of the Demon; Batman and Son); the Brian Azzerello Superman story For Tomorrow; the Dark Horse Indiana Jones volumes; and Neil Gaiman’s Sandman. What I’m looking forward to is re-reading the Star War comics from Marvel starting at Issue #7, the first one after Star Wars. I’ll probably read a few and blog about them.

Movies: Other than the SF/F blockbusters, I really like old SF movies during the summer months. After I finish reading John W. Campbell’s “Who Goes There?”, I’ll be re-watching The Thing from Outer Space. I also have It Came from Outer Space somewhere on tape. Others will pop us as I go along.

TV: Firefly. I’ve started watching the episodes and I’ve written about the first episode. Watch for additional blogs, perhaps one a week, as my wife and I get our Nathan Fillion fix with the crew of Serenity.

Writing: my next novel is my steampunk novel. Thus, my only SF-related writing goal is the same one I wrote about on my crime fiction blog: finish half the book by Labor Day. An extended goal is to write and submit a SF/F short story. I’m putting it out there for the record.

So, what about y’all? Do y’all plan on doing things just during the summer months? If so, what are your goals this summer?

8 comments:

  1. What, no Marvel Comics? You hating on Stan The Man's babies? Seriously, if you want to read some FANTASTIC titles, get the Fables series from Vertigo. It is the best stuff DC has put out in years, and it is due to be released as a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, there is one Marvel title I forgot: Marvel 1602. I'll check out the Fables series. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're serious about getting back to SF, you should go to a couple of conventions. Apollocon is in Houston in June, and Armadillocon in Austin in August. Scott Lynch is the GoH at the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill - I'll be at Apollocon in June. Already have the Friday scheduled away from work. Trying to get into the writer's workshop. The Armadillocon is something I'd love to attend...but it's my anniversary weekend. But, since my wife and I are celebrating this weekend at a golf resort, perhaps...

    Are you going to both or just one of them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to buy all of the superhero serials from the 40's and 50's from Oldies.com. I also wanna check out the books from Dynamite Comics like "Project Superpowers". BTW- I'd be interested in reading about your choice of the greatest film adaptation of a SF novel or short story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott, I'll recommend that you read the Lincoln Child novel Terminal Freeze this summer.
    The plot concerns a base in the far north investigating global warming effects on a glacier. In calving off chunks a cave is revealed and when they find a beast, Maybe a sabertooth?, frozen in a block, it's cut out and returned to base. Planning to reveal the thawed carcass in a live cable documentary, it disappears the day of the unveiling and shredded corpses start turning up.
    Does that sound at all familiar? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firefly is one of the finest sci-fi/westerns ever made. My wife and I have watched the series three times and the film Serenity twice. Can't say enough good about this Josh Whedon show except I wish there was more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matthew - I'll have to do some research on that idea. Something more for the Summer To Do List.

    Randy - Umm, I think I'll need just one guess on that one. Well, as long as no one else realizes the story's been done before, have at it.

    David - You're "Wish there were more" plea is one of the reasons I'm taking my time with Firefly. There's a finite number of things to watch.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

(Even though this is a cross-post, there might be genre-specific discussions that would better be served here at SF Safari than at my other ...